War crimes court wants details on prison attack

13th May 2010, Comments 0 comments

The president of the UN's Yugoslav war crimes court has requested a report from Britain on an attack on a Bosnian Serb war criminal in a British prison, the tribunal said Thursday.

Patrick Robinson, president of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, "has requested that the United Kingdom furnish the tribunal with a report of the incident involving Mr (Radislav) Krstic and the steps that are currently being taken in relation to it," spokeswoman Nerma Jelacic said.

Krstic, 62, was taken to hospital after being attacked by three inmates earlier this month at the high-security Wakefield Prison in Yorkshire, northern England, police said.

The Sun newspaper said his throat was cut several times and he was stabbed in the head.

Serving a 35-year sentence for aiding and abetting genocide, Krstic was transferred to Wakefield from The Hague in 2004.

He was the first Bosnian Serb to be convicted on genocide charges over the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of more than 7,000 Muslim men and boys.

Jelacic said Robinson had been in contact with British authorities, Krstic's lawyer and the Serbian government.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article