Van der Sloots lawyer renews call for end to interview ban
Joran van der Sloot’s lawyer has again demanded journalists be granted access to his client. Mr Máximo Altez told Radio Netherlands Worldwide he has filed a complaint against the Peruvian judiciary for violating the Dutch murder suspect’s constitutional rights.
Dutch journalists have repeatedly been refused opportunities to speak to Van der Sloot. RNW was not allowed to interview the 23-year-old from his cell despite his consent to speak with the Latin American section.
According to Mr Altez, it is very common for prisoners to talk to the press from their cells. He says the restrictions on Van der Sloot are an unjust infringement to his right to information and freedom of expression.
Since he was imprisoned at Miguel Castro Castro prison in Lima, Peru, Van der Sloot has only been interviewed by newspaper.
The Dutchman is suspected of murdering Stephany Flores in a Lima hotel in May of last year. On Sunday, Mr Altez argued the murder was a result of “emoción fuere,” or overwhelming violent emotion. It is a legal strategy that has triggered Peruvian press into a media frenzy.
Legal research has closed in the case, and the prosecutor must decide whether to go to court. If Van der Sloot faces charges of premeditated murder, he faces 25 years in prison. For manslaughter, he could be charged with three to five years.
Van der Sloot is also a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of American Natalee Holloway in Aruba.http://cdn.radionetherlands.nl/data/files/images/lead/joran-balcony--telegraaf.jpg
© Radio Netherlands Worldwide