Tribunal gives Mladic 30 days to study charges
Former Bosnian Serb army leader Ratko Mladic told the Yugoslavia Tribunal in The Hague on Friday that he didn't want to hear a single word of the charges against him. When Judge Alphons Orie then read a summary of them, the genocide suspect said the charges were "obnoxious" and declined to plead guilty or not guilty.
In what was his first court appearance, Mr Mladic asked for more time, claiming that he was seriously ill. He said he would need at least two months to study the 37-page list of charges. He was granted the standard 30 days, which means the case will resume on 4 July.
The former general is suspected of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes. His army overran the Muslim enclave of Srebrenica, killing up to 8000 men and boys, and besieged the Bosnian city of Sarajevo for three and half years, at the cost of approximately 10,000 lives.
He was arrested last week after 16 years on the run.
© Radio Netherlands Worldwide