Three held over bomb threat to Rotterdam event
8 August 2005AMSTERDAM — Police in Rotterdam arrested three people in Rotterdam on Saturday after an apparent threat to bomb the major Formula 1 event 'Monaco aan de de Maas' in the city.
8 August 2005
AMSTERDAM — Police in Rotterdam arrested three people in Rotterdam on Saturday after an apparent threat to bomb the major Formula 1 event 'Monaco aan de de Maas' in the city.
Newspaper 'De Telegraaf' received an email — allegedly from Muslims — that claimed explosives had been planted along the route.
The police have declined to disclose the exact contents of the message, but have said there were immediate doubts that the sender or senders were actually Muslims. The circuit was searched and no devices were found.
A spokesperson for the police in Rotterdam confirmed on Monday that a woman, 21, and two men, aged 18 and 26, have been arrested. The police will not say how they tracked them down.
The suspects were being questioned on Monday to try and establish whether the threat was meant to be a joke or whether there was a different motivation.
This is the second time in two months that a major public event in Rotterdam has been the subject of threats.
Four men were arrested shortly after the Red Bull Air Race in the city in June. The men had allegedly made comments about the event on an internet forum and discussed using fireworks. One person suggested creating a smoke cloud beside the Erasmus bridge as planes flew under it.
By the end of June, the public prosecutor said the four would not face charges due to a lack of evidence.
[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2005]
Subject: Dutch news