Three Somalis remain suspects in Dutch terror probe

28th December 2010, Comments 0 comments

Three of the 12 Somalis arrested in Rotterdam last Friday remain suspects in a possible Christmas terror attack on the Netherlands, and one is still in custody, Dutch prosecutors said Tuesday.

An examining judge ruled on Tuesday that the arrest of a 29-year-old man, a resident of Rotterdam, may be extended for up to three more days for further investigation, a statement said.

Two other suspects, aged 44 and 47, were released on Tuesday morning.

The 12 were arrested in Rotterdam late Friday following a tip-off from Dutch intelligence that a group of Somalis were planning to carry out a terrorist attack in the Netherlands on December 24 or 25.

On Sunday and Monday, six of them were either freed or handed over to immigration police as they were no longer considered suspects.

"The action of the prosecution service and the police on Friday was aimed first and foremost at preventing a possible attack," said the statement.

Investigations so far have yielded no weapons or explosives and no information about a possible target, it added.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article