Teen released in Holloway case

2nd September 2005, Comments 0 comments

2 September 2005 ,

2 September 2005

AMSTERDAM — The father of the main suspect in the disappearance of US school graduate Natalee Holloway, 18, has said his son is being released from custody.

A lawyer for the Dutch teenager Joran van der S., 18, confirmed the claim on Thursday. Van der S.'s father — who was briefly detained himself in the case — said a court has ordered his son be freed on Saturday.

Holloway, 18, vanished on 30 May while holidaying on Aruba with friends to celebrate their graduation from high school. Aruba is a Caribbean island of 71,000 people and an autonomous part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Van der S. and two of his friends, Surinamese nationals Satish K., 18, and Deepak K., 21, are believed to be the last people to have been with Holloway prior to her disappearance.

Justice officials suspect Van der S. killed Holloway but no trace of her has been found despite intensive searches.

The teenage suspect was scheduled to be held until 4 September, but prosecutors went to court on Thursday to ask he be detained for another 30 days.

In order to extend his detention, prosecutors had to offer additional evidence against the teenager, news agency Associated Press reported. 

His father, who was a judge on the island, has gone so far as to claim his son is no longer a suspect in relation to the murder of Holloway.

The public prosecutor's office has declined to comment on the claims.

The Surinamese brothers are also to be released from custody on Saturday. They were re-arrested on 26 August after being freed from an earlier period of custody on July 4.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2005]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article