Syrian awarded damages over terror arrest

7th June 2005, Comments 0 comments

7 June 2005, AMSTERDAM — The Syrian man arrested last year during the Nijmegen Four Day Walk on suspicion of terrorism has been awarded EUR 10,000 in damages.

7 June 2005

AMSTERDAM — The Syrian man arrested last year during the Nijmegen Four Day Walk on suspicion of terrorism has been awarded EUR 10,000 in damages.

The public prosecutor decided last November not to press charges against Gaffar H. and Arnhem Court awarded him damages on Tuesday.

The 38-year-old H., of Beek-Ubbergen, was initially suspected of planning a bomb attack during the popular walking event and was held in custody for six days.

Due to the nature of the allegations against H., Arnhem Court decided to award him damages 20 times higher than the normal EUR 95 per night. It said H. suffered more damage than other people who have been arrested.

Police launched the investigation on 15 July last year. H. and 33-year-old Lebanese man Khalid M. were arrested on allegations M. agreed to an offer from H. to throw a hand grenade at US soldiers participating in the march.

A telephone number in a mobile phone was said to prove H. was linked to the terror network al-Qaeda

The Lebanese suspect, who was staying illegally in the Netherlands, was eventually deported after the charges against him were dropped.

H. was released on 23 July and the prosecution's investigation did not yield any evidence of terrorist activities that could be brought to court.

[Copyright Expatica News 2005]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article