Suspects in imprisonment case released

17th September 2004, Comments 0 comments

17 September 2004 , AMSTERDAM — The two people accused of keeping two teenage sisters prisoner in their home for a year or more were released on Friday. A court in The Hague ruled there was insufficient grounds to warrant their continued detention.

17 September 2004

AMSTERDAM — The two people accused of keeping two teenage sisters prisoner in their home for a year or more were released on Friday. A court in The Hague ruled there was insufficient grounds to warrant their continued detention.

But the prosecution said on Friday that the 48-year-old father and the 21-year-old brother of the two girls are still suspected of unlawful imprisonment and attempted serious assault of the 16 and 19-year-old girls.

Police freed the two sisters out of their family home in the Transvaal suburb of The Hague on 6 August 2004. They had been assaulted. Both parents were arrested and the brother surrendered to police the next day.

The case was made public several days later and police revealed the girls could have been imprisoned in the house for one year and possibly several more. The mother was released shortly after her arrest.

But doubts have been raised whether the girls were actually kept prisoner in the house. The prosecution has previously revealed that it appears as though the 16-year-old had been allowed to go to school.

And the defence lawyers dispute claims of unlawful detention. The father's lawyer said the eldest sister never claimed to have been locked up and went to school and work, newspaper De Telegraaf reported.

"The sisters were assaulted by their brother because he had discovered that they had boyfriends. The father has admitted that he gave the girls a 'corrective slap'," the lawyer said.

"I don't want to say that the youngest sister lied about the imprisonment. (But) she probably shouted everything in panic."

[Copyright Expatica News 2004]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article