School pupils drink contaminated milk

15th December 2005, Comments 0 comments

15 December 2005, AMSTERDAM — Thousands of primary school pupils around the Netherlands drank contaminated chocolate milk last week, it was revealed on Thursday.

15 December 2005

AMSTERDAM — Thousands of primary school pupils around the Netherlands drank contaminated chocolate milk last week, it was revealed on Thursday.

The milk, supplied by dairy company Campina, was contaminated with the cleaning solution natrium hydroxide.

A number of children vomited after drinking the milk, and some suffered intestinal and stomach cramps. The problem came to light after a school in the south of the country complained the milk had a strange taste.

Dozens of children and some adults at 'De Ark' primary school in The Hague have become ill in recent days after drinking the milk. School concierge Martin Sprenger expressed anger in newspaper 'De Telegraaf' because the contaminated milk was being drunk by the children for more than a week before Campina announced the problem.

The solution was accidental introduced to 21,000 cartons of chocolate milk during the production process. Campina warned 2,500 schools about the problem on Wednesday.

Campina stressed the children were not in danger. "We are talking about a very small amount of the cleaning solution mixed with water," Campina Nederland boss Bas van den Berg said. "An investigation has found less than 1 percent natrium hydroxide in the milk cartons."

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2005]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article