School murder suspect wants to defend self

14th January 2008, Comments 0 comments

Man suspected of killing an 8-year-old wants to handle his own defence.

14 January 2008

DEN BOSCH – The 23-year-old suspect of the school murder in Hoogerheide wants to wage his own defence in the appeal against his conviction. The third lawyer to defend him, Ronald Drenth, announced this on Monday.

Suspect Julien C. was appointed Drenth for his defence a month and a half ago after well-known defence attorney Gerard Spong decided to drop the case.

Spong says that his professional secrecy prevents him from saying why he is no longer defending the suspect. It is also unclear whose initiative it was for Spong to drop the case.

Breda attorney Drenth told the court in Den Bosch last week that he would be withdrawing from the case. He too was unable to give an explanation for his decision.

Julien C. was convicted and sentenced to 12 years in prison with mandatory psychiatric treatment for the murder of 8-year-old Jesse Dingemans. Both parties appealed the court ruling. The appeal case is to be heard on 12 February.

The court could not say on Monday what consequences the change of attorneys may have.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2008]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article