Schiphol detention centre 'fire safe'

15th December 2006, Comments 0 comments

15 December 2006, AMSTERDAM — Fire safety measures at the Schiphol detention centre, the scene of last year's tragic blaze, are adequate, Haarlemmermeer Mayor Tineke Netelenbos said on Friday.

15 December 2006

AMSTERDAM — Fire safety measures at the Schiphol detention centre, the scene of last year's tragic blaze, are adequate, Haarlemmermeer Mayor Tineke Netelenbos said on Friday.

Pending an approval at a Haarlemmermeer City Council meeting on Thursday night, the detention centre could be re-opened next Friday.
 
Justice Minister Ernst Hirsch Ballin was quick to welcome the news.

Most of the prison complex was closed after the October 2005 fire in which 11 illegal immigrants were killed.

Two wings used to detain drug smugglers were left open and were only closed this week for the installation of a sprinkler system.

Netelenbos expects that this part of the detention centre could re-open in February 2007.

The Haarlemmermeer municipality had fire safety measures at the detention centre examined by a Belgian advice bureau.

Haarlemmermeer is now prepared to extend the permit for the complex until April 2007 and procedures are being worked on to allow the centre to continue operating until 2013.

In 2013, a new complex must be built elsewhere in the Haarlemmermeer district.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2006]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article