Queen makes first public appearance since attack

5th May 2009, Comments 0 comments

As part of the additional security measures, members of the public attending the remembrance ceremony on Monday find themselves standing further away from the Dutch royal family.

AMSTERDAM – Security was stepped for Dutch Queen Beatrix's attendance Monday at a commemoration in Amsterdam for victims of war following an attack on the royal family last week.

"After what happened on Queen's Day last week, we have taken extra security precautions; visible and invisible," mayor Job Cohen's spokesman Bartho Boer told AFP.

Among other things, the distance between the queen and the public was enlarged on the Dam public square, where the annual Remembrance of the Dead commemoration started at 8pm local time (1800 GMT) with two minutes' of silence.

Police were also given powers to search members of the public.

Beatrix, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and his wife Maxima took part in Monday's ceremony alongside Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende.

The queen, wearing strict black, and her son laid the first wreath at the foot of a national monument on the square.

Last Thursday, the three royals and other members of their family watched in horror as a man targeting the open top bus in which they were travelling ploughed into Queen's Day festival goers, killing six people.

The driver died from head trauma in hospital hours after his car rammed into the foot of a monument, as details emerged of how he had lost his job and was about to lose his home.

He told police after the incident that he had been targeting the royal family.

AFP / Expatica

0 Comments To This Article