Prosecution seeks 27-year jail term for Croatian ex-general

3rd August 2010, Comments 2 comments

Prosecutors have sought a 27-year jail term for Croatian ex-general Ante Gotovina for the alleged persecution of Serbs in the 1990s, said a document filed with the UN's Yugoslav war crimes court.

"The prosecution recommends that the chamber sentence Gotovina to 27 years' imprisonment," said a filing made available Tuesday by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.

Gotovina, 54, had been a commander in the Croatian Army, and is accused of having sought the "permanent removal of the Serb population from the Krajina region in Croatia" by persecution and forced displacement.

With Mladen Markac, 55, and Ivan Cermak, 60, Gotovina is accused of aiding and abetting the murders of Krajina Serb civilians and prisoners of war by "shooting, burning and/or stabbing" them.

The prosecution says 324 Serbs were killed and about 90,000 forcibly displaced.

Prosecutors asked the court for a jail term of 23 years for Markac, a former commander of the special police of Croatia's interior ministry, and 17 years for Cermak, assistant defence minister from 1991 to 1993.

The three men have been on trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity in The Hague since March 2008.

© 2010 AFP

2 Comments To This Article

  • Panos Stokes posted:

    on 4th August 2010, 13:23:54 - Reply

    Croatia needs to understand the difference between victory and shame. Hopefully the International Court will push them to the right direction.

    Killing and ethnic cleansing is not an act to celebrate as a national holiday, it is to be remembered as a tragedy, as something you have to repair instead of endorsing.
  • Joseph Smithers posted:

    on 3rd August 2010, 22:47:06 - Reply

    The whole institution is a joke. Politics and big countries punishing little countries for doing the same stuff they would do if in the same circumstances.