Prince visits scene of terror stand-off
24 May 2005, AMSTERDAM — Crown Prince Willem-Alexander made a surprise visit on Tuesday to the city district in The Hague sealed off in a major terror scare last year.
24 May 2005
AMSTERDAM — Crown Prince Willem-Alexander made a surprise visit on Tuesday to the city district in The Hague sealed off in a major terror scare last year.
The Government Information Service RVD said the visit was carefully kept secret, newspaper 'De Volkskrant' reported.
Prince Willem-Alexander visited the house on the Antheunisstraat in the Laakkwartier district where two suspected terrorists were arrested last November.
Special operation forces sealed off the area around the house for much of the day on 10 November prior to carrying out the arrests.
Four police officers were injured by a hand grenade attack in an early morning attempt to arrest suspects Jason W. and Ismail A. and there were fears the suspects could have more explosives hidden inside the house.
Willem-Alexander also visited the city district last year in response to the anti-terrorist operation and wanted to hear from residents on Tuesday how life is going some six months after his previous visit.
Talks were held at a community centre with residents and police and the RVD said the prince was impressed with the progress reported.
The two men arrested are alleged members of the suspected terror network Hofstad group. The network is facing trial for planning the murders of high-profile politicians.
The tense 14-hour stand-off with the two suspects took place just over a week after the murder of filmmaker Theo van Gogh by a suspected Islamic militant.
That murder and the anti-terror operation sparked widespread public concern in the Netherlands.
[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2005]
Subject: Dutch news