Police examine possible Dutch link to child killer
1 July 2004, AMSTERDAM — Dutch police in the southern province Limburg are investigating whether the recently unmasked serial killer, known as the "Ogre of the Ardennes", also killed children in the Netherlands.
1 July 2004
AMSTERDAM — Dutch police in the southern province Limburg are investigating whether the recently unmasked serial killer, known as the "Ogre of the Ardennes", also killed children in the Netherlands.
Police in Zuid-Limburg have contacted their Belgian counterparts in a bid to see if there are links between several missing children cases in the province over several years and child killer Michel Fourniret.
Fourniret, 62, a French forestry worker living in Belgium, has confessed to killing eight young women and girls, including Elisabeth Brichet, a 12-year-old who disappeared in the Belgian city of Namur in 1989, it was revealed at a press conference on Wednesday.
The man was also being questioned in Belgium by French police after initially confessing to six murders, Expatica France reported. The prosecutor in the French city of Reims, Yves Charpenel, said the questioning would continue on Thursday afternoon.
It was later reported that Fourniret confessed during questioning to the murder of two other teenage girls, a French official investigator said, describng Fourniret's account as "horrific".
Meanwhile, Dutch police spokesperson René Keidener confirmed to the Dutch media on Thursday that police in Limburg are trying to establish if there is a link between child disappearances there and the self-confessed murderer.
Keidener emphasised the contacts with the Belgian police are procedural and that there is no concrete evidence at this stage to tie Fourniret to disappearances of children in the Netherlands.
Dutch police also looked for possible connections between missing children cases and infamous child killer Marc Detroux in the mid-1990s when he was arrested. They did not uncover any link.
Detroux was jailed for life in Belgium last week.
Fourniret has been in custody in Belgian for a year after he was arrested for trying to kidnap a 13-year-old Congolese girl. He was previously sentenced to seven years in France for rape.
His wife Monique Olivier has now denounced her husband to the police, claiming he was responsible for nine murders in France and Belgium, reports said.
According to commercial Belgian broadcaster RTL-TVI, Olivier decided to talk to police after seeing Dutroux's former wife sentenced to 30 years in jail for trying to cover up her husband's crimes, Expatica Belgium said on Thursday.
[Copyright Expatica News 2004]
Subject: Dutch news