"Patients ill from toxic substance"
6 November 2007, GRONINGEN - The 26 people who became ill in a Hoogeveen animal shop were probably exposed to a toxic substance.
6 November 2007
GRONINGEN - The 26 people who became ill in a Hoogeveen animal shop were probably exposed to a toxic substance.
This has emerged from tests conducted by the University Medical Centre of Groningen (UMCG), where the patients were admitted on Monday. A spokesperson said on Tuesday that an infectious disease can be ruled out as a cause for the symptoms. It was reported earlier that 24 people had been admitted to hospital.
During the course of the day on Tuesday patients will be examined one by one to see if they may be discharged. Since the condition of the group is stable the spokesperson expects that all 26 will be sent home.
The patients were placed in a special quarantine wing on Monday evening. This did not disrupt regular care at the facility, the spokesperson says.
[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2007]
Subject: Dutch news