No comment from Dutchbat commander
Colonel Ret. Thom Karremans, the officer who commanded the UN peacekeeping force Dutchbat in Srebrenica in 1995, has refused to comment on the ruling handed down by the Court of Appeal in The Hague on Tuesday. The court ruled that the Netherlands is liable for the deaths of three men killed in the Srebrenica massacre.
In a statement he made to the current affairs TV show , he said he had not had enough time to study the ruling, and that the defence ministry was the appropriate agency to comment on the verdict, “but they could not be bothered, as usual”.
Earlier on Tuesday, the defence ministry said they were surprised by the ruling, but refused to comment.
Mr Karremans added that he is still deeply sorry about what happened in the Muslim enclave of Srebrenica in July 1995, Hasan Nuhanovic is one of the next of kin who sued the Dutch state.
© Radio Netherlands Worldwide