News in brief - 23 June 2004

23rd June 2004, Comments 0 comments

Go ahead for expansion of Rotterdam harbour

Go ahead for expansion of Rotterdam harbour

The Dutch Cabinet and Rotterdam City Council have agreed on the expansion of the Rotterdam harbour, paving the way for the construction of the Maasvlakte 2. Rotterdam port authorities claim the construction will offer more room for port-related activities "boasting an excellent infrastructure". The Dutch government will invest EUR 1.4 billion, but it is not known how much Rotterdam will invest. If the project proves a success, the harbour city will repay some of the government's funding. The Maasvlakte 2 will involve the creation of more land from the sea and is designed for container companies, distribution centres and the chemical industry. It is hoped that the construction will maintain Rotterdam as the world's largest harbour and is scheduled for completion in 2010.

Court orders reconstruction of police shooting

Amsterdam Appeals Court has ruled that further investigations should be conducted into the death of Moroccan Driss Arbib, who was shot by a police officer on 6 August 2003. The public prosecutor (OM) previously opted against criminal proceedings, asserting that he acted in self-defence. But Arbib's family lodged a complaint with the appeals court in Amsterdam. Arbib was killed at café on the Mercatorplein in Amsterdam West after he threatened police with a knife and the appeals court has ordered a reconstruction of the incident to take place. The aim is to discover if the police officer had other options other than shooting the 33-year-old man.

'Ketchup incident' women to be re-arrested

Amsterdam Court ordered on Wednesday the re-arrest of two activists who threw ketchup on Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk. The two activists were released the day after the 16 June incident, but the prosecution lodged an appeal. The prosecution must now track the women down because they refused give their name, address and place of residence at the time of their arrest. The two women were also due to appear on summons for the ketchup protest in the Amsterdam Court later on Wednesday.

Inquiries resumed into Iraq shooting deaths

The public prosecutor (OM) has asked the military police to supply it with more information regarding three Iraqi fatalities in shootings involving Dutch troops. The deaths occurred on 17, 21 and 25 April. Investigations into the three incidents had been rounded off, but after examining the cases further, the prosecution has asked for more information.

Sex entrepreneur sues council for EUR 44m

A would be brothel-owner is suing the Haarlemmermeer Council for EUR 44 million, claiming it has boycotted for years his plans to build a sex centre in the municipality. Sex entrepreneur R. Beusenberg, of Cruquius, claims he ahs tried since 1988 to open a large sex business and that the council has given approval in the past, but the plans have not gone through. "And that is while sex industry is presently legal," he said. The compensation case will start in the Haarlem Court on Friday, but the council has refused to comment on the matter. A spokeswoman said the council is unaware of the damages claim.

[Copyright Expatica News 2004]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article