New Srebrenica mass grave found

27th May 2009, Comments 0 comments

The victims from Srebrenica are in most cases found in secondary graves, where remains had been moved from initial burial sites in an attempt by Serbs to cover up the crimes.

Sarajevo -- A new mass grave believed to contain dozens of victims of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre has been discovered in eastern Bosnia, an official said Tuesday.

The grave was discovered next to the house of a Muslim refugee who returned to Mrsici village, near the town of Vlasenica, said Lejla Cengic, spokeswoman for Bosnia's Missing Persons Commission.

"So far we have found the remains of nine people, but we expect to find remains of at least 20 people," she told AFP.

Exhumation was expected to continue for several days.

Serb forces overran the then UN-protected Muslim enclave Srebrenica in the final phase of Bosnia's 1992 to 1995 war, summarily killing some 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Europe's single worst atrocity since World War II.

Cengic said the site at Mrsici was a so-called primary grave which could ease the process of identification.

The victims from Srebrenica are in most cases found in secondary graves, where remains had been moved from initial burial sites in an attempt by Serbs to cover up the crimes.

The remains of thousands of the victims have been exhumed from about 70 mass graves around Srebrenica, with more than 5,600 people identified by DNA analysis.

AFP/Expatica

0 Comments To This Article