Multiculti-Dutch, yes, but not in my backyard

25th August 2011, Comments 22 comments

Non-immigrant Dutch people say they want their children to grow up in a multicultural society, but would actually prefer their own kids to live in a white neighbourhood and go to a non-mixed school.

This is the conclusion of research carried out by the monthly magazine . A cross-section of parents, 588 in all, were interviewed for the piece.

The magazine says 80 percent of the Dutch-background parents acknowledge the advantages of growing up in a society made up of different cultures. However, 57 percent worry about the position of their white children in a mixed-race society.

© Radio Netherlands Worldwide

• Del posted:

on 9th September 2011, 21:02:49 - Reply

Spelling facists........1 l.
  • Del posted:

on 9th September 2011, 21:00:09 - Reply

There are only two things I can't stand.

Intollerence of other cultures and the Dutch.
  • DutchAmericanWhite posted:

on 7th September 2011, 06:26:47 - Reply

Discrimination comes from 2 sides. Discrimination like this is not restricted to the Netherland and the US, you will find the exact same kind of discrimination anywhere. There are people that are open and friendly by nature (although bad experiences can change that), and there are people that are closed and xenophobic (about anyone not exactly their kind of people, but really good experiences can sometimes change that too). Travel does tend to make people more open and tolerant, but there are those that travel extensively all over the world, meeting many diverse people and become more xenophobic as they see more of the world.
    There was a comment earlier about why a Moroccon that speaks fluent Dutch would be treated worse than another foreigner who barely speaks Dutch, if at all, and my answer is that, sadly, Moroccons, especially the youth, have a reputation as troublemakers. I know there are lots and lots who've integrated pretty much completely and who are as Dutch, in every way which could be conceived of as important, as the white kid with Dutch parents who can trace his ancestry back 500 years of being pure Dutch, but there is that reputation that hangs over their head.
    i'd like to have more friends in different cultures, but frankly I've learned that almost none will reciprocate, unless there is a reason we have to interact together, usually through work, and then it almost never goes beyond being aquaintances on friendly terms. So, all my friends are white and Dutch, in fact I'm the foreigner (I'm American officially) in our group.
    Lastly, there is one thing I do believe, and that is that when you move (as with the intent to make it your permanent place of residence) to another country, you have to make some minimal efforts to integrate. Learn the language, learn the culture, be respectful of weird customs (I know the Dutch have some really strange customs, I get weird looks when I visit the US and my Dutchness shines through). There's no need to forget your own culture, but you did decide that you wanted/needed to live there more then that you wanted/needed to live where you originate from (This would go for me moving to Turkey, or China, or wherever as well.) In fact, take a look at Iran, if you want to move there, for whatever reason, you must adept to their standards, despite not sharing their religion, etc. Nobody calls it discrimination there, so stop calling it so here.

I know my writing may seem a little disjointed, I apologize for that, hope I've made my point though.
  • ShutUpHans posted:

on 2nd September 2011, 06:40:43 - Reply

There will always be Homies
  • Hitting a Nerve? posted:

on 1st September 2011, 15:50:20 - Reply

The dutch can dish it out buy the minute you criticize them they lay you down in a coffin, it's a shame they don't read this site more often and the comments, you would think they would since they speak such great english.
  • Diego posted:

on 1st September 2011, 14:31:20 - Reply

I could not agree more about the two outlooks that Dutch society has. I was in Holland for almost 4 years and found the beginning quite nice but then when everyday life started to be the norm, the concept on being non-Dutch really made life diffcult in many aspects.

Considering the treatment that I got from official entities such as the councils when registering and de-registering and vehicle importation, they were helpful as to where the information is but when it came to completing the information correctly it was almost like if they were expecting you to make a mistake to charge you more or make you do more paperwork.

I still go to visit the few remainig friends there as well as try to sort out the pension nightmares that the system provides. Also I am happy to report that being a tourist is easier there that formally living there.
  • mahajanssen posted:

on 1st September 2011, 12:56:55 - Reply

@Kimberly - You are absolutely right! Yes, like Kendra said, I myself have Dutch friends (only 3 actually) who travel a lot and are even married to non-Dutch people. My only female Dutch friend is a local here in Geleen and though she only loves travelling around here in Europe, that is more than enough to open up her mind to becoming a friend to the only brown mother in our children's pre-school (I still am the only brown mother in my daughter's basisschool). I think most Dutch people confuse being open to being friendly and there is a clear difference between those two. I have been to more than one birthday party and BBQs where the Dutch congregate together and not even say hi to the rest of us non-white people. . I have been to verjaardag feestjes and BBQs where there was a good mix of every colour but you could see the distinction - the white Dutch folks were all gathered on their own and didn't even step out to say hi to the rest of us brown, black, etc. folks whereas the rest of us non-whites were busy mingling with each other. Most Dutch also think that being open and tolerant is the same as being friendly and there is a big difference between those two. I have lived here for 10 years and I have had only a handful of Dutch people actually approach me and I have given up trying to make friends with them. I smile, nod and say hi whenever needed but otherwise, I stay in one corner and avoid eye contact because I know my efforts in friend making will be futile. True, I have made 'connections' with some of the other nicer parents at my daughter's school but I don't consider them friends and I am not hoping we ever will be. I have learned to be thankful enough that I am not harassed or prejudiced against on a daily basis.
    @Hans - I understand that you feel the need to defend your country folks but if you read all the comments here, you can see that there is more than 1 person who says the same thing so shouldn't that give you something to think about?!
  • Kimberly posted:

on 1st September 2011, 12:35:12 - Reply

Yoh Hans, chillax. Travel a little. Go easy on the pacemaker.
  • Kendra posted:

on 1st September 2011, 10:45:10 - Reply

In fairness too, I get told the same about American's (and I'm sure you'd find it in every country) the ones who travel are more open socially to those left behind in the corn fields of Iowa. ;-)
  • Kendra posted:

on 1st September 2011, 10:43:40 - Reply

@Kimberly: I've been here 8 years and have come to the same conclusion. If they've traveled and or had partners whom are non-dutch they are exactly as they appear to the rest of the world; open, friendly, generous and tolerant. And I've met the other type, the ones who've never left home (or mom's house even) and whom- despite me speakin very good Dutch - still stick a finger in my face and call me tourist when ever they need to feel better. @Hans, you seem to be the later. Hollad owes nothing to anyone, right, including you. Grow up.
  • Igishanga dweller posted:

on 1st September 2011, 08:28:13 - Reply

I fully agree with your post. Same experience here.
  • Not Racist just truthful posted:

on 1st September 2011, 06:37:25 - Reply

kimberly, very much love your comment, I agree with your words all the way as that is the perfect truth to the dutch club
  • Dante posted:

on 31st August 2011, 21:46:09 - Reply

Well, the views of all these 'expats' do not match my perception. I am an Italian, with friends from different nationalities, who has lived here for several years, and has never experienced these bad comments. I have a clear opinion, if you do not like a place -it happened to me when I was living in a certain country abroad- why don't you leave? I can fully understand that Dutch people in certain areas of certain big cities are a bit fed up of the increase of certain behaviours.
  • Jan posted:

on 31st August 2011, 20:56:09 - Reply

As an obvious-looking lesbian, visiting Amsterdam in 2004, I was harassed by mainstream Dutch women. I was yelled at to get out of the women's bathroom, etc. I found the so-called tolerant Dutch society anything but, as far as being gay was concerned. I explored the culture for 5 weeks at times alone and at times with my partner. I experienced the rude behavior repeatedly in all sectors of Amsterdam. I was shocked. It appeared you could be gay as long as you don't look or behave the part. There was even an article in a gay newspaper that locals wanted gay businesses to stop flying rainbow flags--to stop flaunting their sexuality!!
  • Hans posted:

on 31st August 2011, 19:09:15 - Reply

"there are two distinct types of Dutch"

"The homies are sceptical, rather 'Dutch supremist' and very myopic in their views about worldly affairs, socio/political issues and of people outside their culture and race."

More racist comments which hould be removed.
  • kimberly posted:

on 31st August 2011, 18:40:03 - Reply

I have always liked the Dutch in the international cities I have lived in but I have since learnt that there are two distinct types of Dutch: The globalists (who work and travel outside Holland) and having lived in The Netherlands I discovered the latter type: The Homies (The ones who don't take to living and travelling much outside The Netherlands). The globalists are open-minded, fun, savvy and embracing of different cultures and The homies are sceptical, rather 'Dutch supremist' and very myopic in their views about worldly affairs, socio/political issues and of people outside their culture and race (this includes white Caucasians) of different nationalities and races. Unfortunately, most of The Globalists are out there in different parts of the world establishing a good perception of the laidback cool Dutchies and The Homies grow increasingly suspicious of anyone else who don't share their language nor race. Has anyone heard of the fishing village Urk?
  • Hans posted:

on 31st August 2011, 18:27:21 - Reply

"They are very racist"

I find this an offensive and very racist comment. Please remove the post..
  • Hans posted:

on 31st August 2011, 18:12:28 - Reply

Don't drink Heineken and don't live in Holland. The Dutch owe you nothing.

• Igishanga dweller posted:

on 31st August 2011, 17:01:39 - Reply

They make outsiders believe that they are so tolerant. In fact, they are not. They are very racist. My wife is of African origin and nowhere I have experienced so much racism as in Holland. I call it the Heineken effect. Shit beer, full of chemicals (foam stabiliser) but the best sold brand in the world. Good marketing (we're so tolerant) and shit product (NL society).
  • Mehdi posted:

on 31st August 2011, 16:18:09 - Reply

One thing I don't understand about the Netherlands: if you are from another European country, and you don't speak a single word of Dutch, your life in this country is easier than if you were born here of Moroccan descent, and speak perfectly Dutch. Talk about a double standard.
  • Tricia Winters posted:

on 31st August 2011, 15:30:21 - Reply

I am sorry to have to agree with the above comment. In most societies people of ethnic origins are marginalised in times of scarcity, particularly jobs. However, this seemed to be the culture I experienced 12 years ago during the 'good times' and has become ever more so as real job losses have risen over the past 5-6 years. Resentment of the English has likewise increased, even though we were welcomed with open arms when we first came here with higher IT skills. On the plus side, the Nederlanders are very focused, on the negative side their views can sometimes be quite narrow and they miss the bigger picture.
  • no surprise posted:

on 31st August 2011, 14:06:22 - Reply

Dutch society is double standard all the way, They want to appear to the tourists in Amsterdam that they are soooo open and liberal but the back roads and communities tell a completely different tale. They always behave like they can't stand anyone who isn't blonde and blabs in dutch