More parents told about child abuse suspect: Dutch officials

15th December 2010, Comments 0 comments

Several hundred parents were on Tuesday informed of the arrest of a suspected child molester who worked in creches in the Dutch city of Amsterdam, city officials said.

The 27-year-old suspect, originally from Latvia, was arrested on December 7 and had confessed to the abuse of tens of young children, a statement from an Amsterdam court said Sunday.

The man had also hired himself out as a babysitter in the city.

"We believe that there were between 30 and 50 victims but it could be more, we don't know," Ruth Gorissen, spokeswoman for the public prosecutor's office, told AFP. "There is a large-scale inquiry," she added.

The suspect's identity was not revealed but his photo was made public. He was arrested after a tip-off by US authorities probing child pornography.

Two other men, including the suspect's partner, were also arrested.

"About 500 parents were informed during a meeting Monday," said Amsterdam city hall in a statement, adding that some of them may have left their child in the suspect's care.

Parents of the children who were in the day nurseries at the time the suspect worked there had already been informed of the development at a special meeting Sunday evening with the police, prosecutors and city council officials.

The man is also suspected of having produced and distributed child pornography. He worked for Amsterdam creches between February 2007 and January 2010.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article