Mladic charge sheet revised to shorten trial
Ratko Mladic will appear for the first time on Friday at the war crimes tribunal in The Hague when the charge sheet against the ex-Bosnian Serb army general will be formally read. Prosecutor Serge Brammertz told journalists at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia ICTY today that Mladic will be tried for genocide and war crimes. He will be asked to enter a plea to each of the charges brought against him. It is expected that he will plead not guilty.
Less counts, shorter trial The prosecutor said the charge sheet had been amended and the charge sheet had been revised down to shorten the trial. The Bosnian Serb is accused of masterminding the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of about 8,000 Muslim men and boys, Europe’s worst single atrocity since World War II. He is also charged with the 44-month siege of the capital Sarajevo in which some 10,000 people died.
Indictment close to Karadzic’s The prosecutor said the indictment was “very close to that filed against [Radovan] Karadzic as the charges are the same”.
Karadzic, the former Bosnian Serb political head and Mladic’s commander in chief, was arrested in Belgrade in 2008 and is on trial in The Hague on 11 counts of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity for the atrocities committed during Bosnia’s 1992-95 war in which some 100,000 people died.
Serbia’s EU bid Mr Brammertz stressed that Serbia’s bid for EU membership was an important factor in securing the arrest of the former general.
© Radio Netherlands Worldwide