Marksman faces life in jail for killing ex, family

8th July 2004, Comments 0 comments

8 July 2004, AMSTERDAM — The public prosecutor called on a Dutch court to jail a marksman, Paul S., for life for shooting and killing his ex-girlfriend and three members of her family last year. The accused at one time gave weapons training to police officers.

8 July 2004

AMSTERDAM — The public prosecutor called on a Dutch court to jail a marksman, Paul S., for life for shooting and killing his ex-girlfriend and three members of her family last year. The accused at one time gave weapons training to police officers.

S., 37, appeared in a court in Maastricht charged with murdering Daniela Vromen, 29, her brother Patrick, 34, and her mother Jose, 64, in their home in Kerkrade in the east of the Netherlands on 24 October last year.

From there, S. went to a sports hall operated by his ex-partner's father, Lei Vromen, 60, and shot him in the head, killing him instantly. S. was then arrested.

Police officers were sent to the family home to break the news, only to find Daniela and her two relatives had been murdered earlier.

S. has admitted the four killings and the main task before the court will be to determine his sentence. The public prosecutor asked S. be jailed for life and said he was "too unmanageable" for TBS psychiatric treatment in a secure hospital.

TBS, according to the prosecutor, is designed to rehabilitate an offender, while S. should never be allowed to re-enter society.

Experts from the Pieter Baan psychiatric evaluation centre told the court earlier that S. should undergo TBS treatment.

S. became very emotional during Thursday's sitting and expressed remorse for his crimes.

The hearing was suspended for an hour at one point when S. broke down as an audio tape was played of the telephone call Lei Vromen was making to the 112 emergency number as S. ranted and raved in the background.

Several of the victims' surviving relatives were also overcome with emotion and had to leave court as four fatal gunshots cut off the victim's call for help.

Asked to look at photographs of his victims, S. refused and told the court: "I am the culprit, but I will be punished for the rest of my life as I can't understand what I have done".

S. has told investigators the events of the day appeared to him like a "black and white movie" and he did not know what came over him.

Describing the first three murders, he said he went into the house, saw "silhouettes" and opened fire.

It also emerged on Thursday that S. had written a letter to regional newspaper De Limburger in which he suggested he had been friends with Dutch marine Erik O. and they had served together in the specialist anti-terrorist commando unit, BBE.

O. is currently under investigation and faces possible criminal proceedings for shooting and killing a suspected looter in Iraq. More than 1,000 Dutch troops are stationed in southern Iraq. 

Under the direction of the government, the BBE has allegedly carried out top secret missions in foreign countries, including Cambodia. The government has denied claims it is sanctioned to use deadly force.

"As the best trained specialists, we help each other out of a feeling of loyalty, trust and camaraderie," S. wrote to the newspaper.

"We are not unstable, aggressive monsters and/or murderers! We are unfortunately the last remedy in a terror-infected world".

He also said there was no link between his and O's case, except for the fact that people died in both.

[Copyright Expatica News 2004]

Subject: Dutch news + Kerkrade murders 

0 Comments To This Article