Margarita abandons damages claim

25th October 2004, Comments 0 comments

25 October 2004 , AMSTERDAM — Princess Margarita has abandoned her legal battle against the Dutch State for invasion of privacy, her lawyer has confirmed.

25 October 2004

AMSTERDAM — Princess Margarita has abandoned her legal battle against the Dutch State for invasion of privacy, her lawyer has confirmed.

The princess and her husband Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn were planning to sue the Dutch State, based on revelations that the intelligence service AIVD conducted a background check in De Roy van Zuydewijn.

The investigation was carried out at the request of the royal family, which allegedly did not approve of De Roy van Zuydewijn.

But the couple has since split up and Princess Margarita is filing for divorce. She has also apologised to her family and is working on repairing damaged relations with her mother, Princess Irene, and other family members.

Margarita's lawyer said on television programme Barend & Van Dorp on Friday that the princess had abandoned the damages claim. News agency ANP said other sources had also confirmed the lawyer's claim.

It had previously been reported that the damages claimed had been stalled.

De Roy van Zuydewijn has repeatedly indicated he will pursue the legal battle. He is seeking compensation on claims the AIVD investigation damaged his reputation and the reputation of his business.

Margarita and De Roy van Zuydewijn caused a stir last year when they went public with their grievances against the royal family in a series of magazine interviews. Margarita is the niece of Queen Beatrix.

[Copyright Expatica News 2004]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article