Many schools set on fire New Year's Eve

4th January 2008, Comments 6 comments

More than 20 schools were set on fire on New Year's Eve this week.

4 January 2008

APELDOORN – More than 20 schools were set on fire on New Year's Eve this week, compared to less than ten during the festivities a year earlier.

Most of the fires were the result of "heavier fireworks" set off deliberately in the direction of the buildings. A spokesperson for insurance company Centraal Beheer Achmea said this on Friday.

Most of the schools affected are primary schools. The spokesperson from Achmea says this is evidence that primary schools are not adequately secure.

"More should be done to prevent these situations, by setting up camera surveillance for instance." More schools should also install sprinkler installations, the insurance company says, to spare society the high costs of the damage caused by these kinds of fires.

At the request of broadcaster NOS, Achmea, which insures most of the schools in the Netherlands, investigated how many schools suffered fire damage during New Year's Eve festivities. An initial estimate places that number at about 20, compared to seven last year. The total damage is reportedly between EUR 20 and 25 million.

"It causes a lot of damage for society, aside from the fire damage. Children cannot return to school immediately, for instance, and childcare has to be arranged," the spokesperson said.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2008]

Subject: Dutch news

• David Chamberlain posted:

on 6th January 2008, 10:53:21 - Reply

Ummm, guys, Canada still exists as an option for you. The airport is just a cab ride away. Does it never occur to whining expats that Holland is the way it is because most people prefer it that way. Holland has never looked to other nations for cues on how to run its society and long may it remain so. Canada, along with most other western nations has become a nanny state, with every aspect of life regulated and controlled to the nth degree. I personally love living in a country where I'm not gonna get sued because some idiot slips on the sidewalk outside my house and blames me for his ineptitude, where I can buy fireworks, like when I was a kid and join a whole city in a display of colour and joy without having to be held responsible for the actions of a few morons, where my dog can shit in the street and the authorities use my taxes to provide the service of washing those streets down every day. What a wonderful place. This is libertarian heaven. Canadians are the biggest whiners of the lot, I find and being one myself, I understand why. Canadians are so used to being coddled from birth to death. They are so used to always being able to blame someone else for every personal misfortune. The authorities should exist to provide basic civil services and to prevent people killing and raping one another...and that's all! The rest of my life is my business, as long as I am hurting no one else.
    If you don't like the way things are done here, go back to Toronto, or if you want a nanny state closer to here, move to the UK, I'm sure they'd be glad to have you.
  • David Chamberlain posted:

on 6th January 2008, 10:53:21 - Reply

• David Chamberlain posted:

on 6th January 2008, 10:53:21 - Reply

• David Chamberlain posted:

on 6th January 2008, 10:53:21 - Reply

• C. Dolliver R.N. posted:

on 5th January 2008, 14:05:52 - Reply

C. Dolliver R.N.

As a Canadian residing in the Netherlands, I find it unbelievable that this even occurs! The selling of dangerous fireworks, the misuse of them and major property damage as a result!! It's just another example of poor personal responsibility, and bad accountablity in this country. Put it on the list along with smoking and drinking issues and the unreal attitudes of the bikers and drivers in the Netherlands!! Back up everyone, it's not just about you, think about your consequences!! Grow up!!
  • Kevin Jardine posted:

on 4th January 2008, 20:04:42 - Reply

As a former resident of Canada, I am amazed every year by the unrestricted use of fireworks (and not just on New Years - people set them off in Leiden up to a week before).

Fireworks are restricted to people with a hard-to-get license in Canada. In practice this means that municipalities have a monopoly for most festive occasions. Pretty restrictive, I know - but *much* safer.