Man faked 'Muslim' terror threat to SAIL

15th November 2005, Comments 0 comments

15 November 2005, AMSTERDAM — A public prosecutor asked a court on Tuesday to impose a 15-month sentence, with five months suspended, on a man, 40, for making a bogus threat against the SAIL maritime event in Amsterdam.

15 November 2005

AMSTERDAM — A public prosecutor asked a court on Tuesday to impose a 15-month sentence, with five months suspended, on a man, 40, for making a bogus threat against the SAIL maritime event in Amsterdam.

The court was also asked to impose a two-year probationary period and to order the man, identified only as G.H., to undertake a probation and after-care programme.

H. sent an email to broadcaster SBS6 on 15 August in which he claimed to have information about planned attacks on the tall-ship event in Amsterdam. He demanded Amsterdam municipality pay him EUR 4 million for his information.

SBS6 contacted the police and investigators quickly tracked down the suspect and his girlfriend, aged 30. Both were arrested the following day in Workum in Friesland. Justice officials are satisfied the woman had nothing to do with the extortion attempt.

H. admitted to the police that he had deliberately written the email in broken Dutch to create the impression Islamic terrorists were involved.

The man also wanted to "give people a good scare", the prosecutor said. If the existence of the email was made public, many tourists might have been too frightened to attend SAIL.

The prosecutor said the extortion bid had been carried out in a clumsy fashion. The man had been traced very easily and had not given any thought to how he would receive the ransom he demanded.

Psychiatric experts said the man had a great need for attempt and was not fully accountable for his actions. H. didn't even empower his lawyer to speak on his behalf in court.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2005]

Subject: Dutch News

 

0 Comments To This Article