Libya crash boy to return to Netherlands on Saturday
A nine-year-old Dutch boy who was the sole survivor of a plane crash in Libya that killed 103 people will arrive back in the Netherlands on Saturday, the Dutch foreign ministry said.
Ruben van Assouw "will be accompanied by his uncle and aunt and the doctor treating him," ministry spokesman Christoph Prommersberger told AFP Friday.
They are set to leave Tripoli by plane at 10:00 am (0800 GMT) for an undisclosed location in the Netherlands.
"At request of Ruben's family, the arrival location will not be made public and the media will not be allowed to be present," said Prommersberger.
"The family appeals to be media to practice restraint and to leave his family in peace in this difficult time ... to process their loss."
The boy, identified by the ministry only as nine-year-old Ruben from the southern city of Tilburg but fully by the media as Ruben van Assouw, is recovering in a Tripoli hospital after surgery on his smashed legs.
He had been returning from a safari holiday in South Africa with his parents and older brother, 11, all of whom died when an Afriqiyah Airways Airbus A330 from Johannesburg disintegrated on landing on Wednesday.
© 2010 AFP