Lawyers still just representing Margarita
8 January 2004 , AMSTERDAM — The lawyers of Princess Margarita and her husband Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn are still only representing the princess in a legal battle that might lead to a multi-million euro compensation claim against the Dutch royal family.
8 January 2004
AMSTERDAM — The lawyers of Princess Margarita and her husband Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn are still only representing the princess in a legal battle that might lead to a multi-million euro compensation claim against the Dutch royal family.
Speculation of a royal split rose last year when it was reported that lawyers were only representing Princess Margarita. But the controversial royal couple publicly rejected divorce rumours in a televised interview.
Lawyers Britta Bohler and Victor Koppe — who submitted important witness summons in a court in The Hague on Thursday — refused again to reveal why they are only representing the princess, an NOS news report said.
The royal couple accused the royal family — which allegedly did not approve of Edwin as a possible marriage prospect — of conducting a smear campaign against Edwin, damaging his business interests. It also claimed that the Dutch secret service, AIVD, spied on Edwin.
Amid false claims they were being bugged, Margarita and Edwin claim their privacy was violated and are planning to sue the royal family for more than EUR 30 million in a scandal that has revealed a deep rift in the Dutch royal family harmony.
Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende was roasted in Parliament, but denied withholding information on the issue about a letter from the state's legal advisor which suggested the head of the Queen's staff might have acted inappropriately.
Meanwhile, Princess Margarita and Edwin have requested legal permission to hear testimony from Prince Bernhard, secret service public servants and journalist Maartje van Weegen.
Based on the testimonies, the royal couple will then decide whether they will proceed with a legal case against the royal family and the Dutch State.
But the government prosecutor claimed that both Prince Bernhard and the secret service officials could make use of their exemption rights and therefore did not need to give testimony. Furthermore, he said journalist Maartje van Weegen did not need to reveal her sources.
The royal journalist incorrectly reported that Margarita and Edwin did not attend the royal wedding of Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima in February 2002 because of financial difficulties. It later appeared that the out-of-favour royal couple were simply not invited to the gala ceremony.
The court will hand down its ruling on 5 February.
[Copyright Expatica News 2004]
Subject: Dutch news + Margarita scandal