Latest suspect released in Holloway case
24 April 2006, AMSTERDAM — The authorities on Aruba released Monday a 19-year-old Dutchman who is suspected of involvement in the disappearance of US teenager Natalee Holloway.
24 April 2006
AMSTERDAM — The authorities on Aruba released Monday a 19-year-old Dutchman who is suspected of involvement in the disappearance of US teenager Natalee Holloway.
"The suspect G.v.C. has been released from police custody. He has been released because the grounds for his detention are no longer there. He remains a suspect," the public prosecutor said.
He was arrested on 15 April based on tips to the police after a reconstruction of Holloway's last hours was featured on crime programme 'Opsporing Verzocht' in the Netherlands and Aruba.
The suspect has been named by Aruban and American media sources Geoffrey van Cromvoirt, the son of a man who runs a security business on the autonomous Dutch island of Aruba. The suspect's sister is a police officer on Aruba.
His father's firm was responsible for security in and around the Holiday Inn, the hotel Holloway had been staying at while on holiday with classmates to celebrate their graduation last year. Holloway was last seen leaving a disco with three young men on 30 May 2005.
The three, including Dutchman Joran van der Sloot, 18, were arrested and interrogated last year but denied hurting her. They say they left her on a beach at her own request.
Separately, Deputy Commissioner Gerold Dompig, who was recently removed from command of the Holloway investigation, has confirmed his 19-year-old son, Michael, has been questioned as a witness in the case. His son is not a suspect and was among several police questioned as witnesses in recent days, Dompig said.
[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2006]
Subject: Dutch news