Latest Holloway suspect released from custody
UPDATED 23 May 2006, AMSTERDAM — The Aruban youth arrested in the Dutch city of Utrecht last week as a suspect in the Natalee Holloway case was released on Tuesday morning.
UPDATED 23 May 2006
AMSTERDAM — The Aruban youth arrested in the Dutch city of Utrecht last week as a suspect in the Natalee Holloway case was released on Tuesday morning.
The Public Prosecutor's Office (OM) said he remains a suspect. But Gerard Spong, the youth's lawyer, described this as a formality. "It is unthinkable that he will be arrested again on the basis of how things stand at the moment in the investigation," Spong said.
His client, who has not been identified, was the detained on suspicion of complicity in the unlawful detention, sexual assault and murder of Holloway on the night of 29-30 May last year. The 18-year-old Alabama teenager disappeared while on holiday in Aruba with school friends to celebrate their graduation.
Repeated searches of the island and coastal waters have failed to find any trace of her. The authorities believe she was murdered.
The Aruban was released from custody as Spong prepared to go to court to have his arrest overturned. The youth indicated via Spong that he would fight any attempt to extradite him to Aruba.
He is said to be a friend of Dutch teenager Joran van der Sloot, the main suspect in the case.
Van der Sloot and two companions, brothers Deepak Kalpoe, 21, and Satish Kalpoe, 18, were the last people seen with Holloway. The three were held in custody for many weeks but were released due to lack of evidence.
The new suspect was a croupier in the hotel at which Holloway was staying. He was questioned several times as a witness during the earlier stages of the investigation. He is the 10th person to be arrested and released in the case.
[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2006]
Subject: Dutch news