Killer denies one death, admits another

18th March 2005, Comments 0 comments

18 March 2005, AMSTERDAM — Convicted killer Paul de R. surprised the appeals court in Arnhem on Friday by confessing to strangling his neighbour Hans Muller in 1999 in the central Dutch town of Baarn.

18 March 2005

AMSTERDAM — Convicted killer Paul de R. surprised the appeals court in Arnhem on Friday by confessing to strangling his neighbour Hans Muller in 1999 in the central Dutch town of Baarn.

It is the first time that De R. has confessed involvement in the disappearance of Hans and Ria Muller, whose remains were found at the start of last year under a stable at the children's farm managed by the 60-year-old suspect.

The couple was missing for years before their bodies were found. De R. explained their disappearance by claiming the couple had linked up with a religious sect in Belgium. He then moved into their home and started spending their money also.

Police started making inquiries only after crime journalist Peter R. de Vries highlighted the case in his television programme and uncovered clues indicating De R. had killed the couple, news service NOS reported.

De Vries found out, for instance, that the couple had not used their bank cards since their disappearance and that they had not sought to recoup costs from their health insurer despite the fact they both had ongoing medical conditions.

De R. was sentenced to life in prison by Utrecht Court last year, but told the appeals court on Friday that he visited the Mullers on a Sunday at the end of 1999 and found Ria already dead on her bed. He then strangled Hans in a fit of anger and buried the bodies under concrete under the farm stable.

But De R. could not explain why Hans would kill his wife and the court said it was not prepared to believe his story. De R.'s confession is akin to a charge of one count of manslaughter, which does not carry a life term.

[Copyright Expatica News 2005]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article