Karadzic seeks subpoena for ex-Croatian president's son
Bosnian Serb wartime leader Radovan Karadzic sought Monday to subpoena Miroslav Tudjman, former Croatian intelligence chief and son of the late president Franjo Tudjman, to give evidence in his defence.
In a motion filed with the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) trying him for genocide, Karadzic claims Tudjman has evidence of arms "smuggled to the Bosnian Muslim army from Iran and other Islamic countries through Croatia" during the 1992-95 Bosnian war.
"There are reasonable grounds to believe that Mr Tudjman has information which can materially assist Dr Karadzic's case," says the document, asking that Tudjman be interviewed by Karadzic's legal adviser Peter Robinson at the ICTY's liaison offices in Zagreb on October 15.
"As director of the Croatian Intelligence Service, Mr Tudjman is particularly well placed to reveal what documents exist which reflect the agreement with Iran to ship arms to the Bosnian Muslims."
Karadzic alleges this happened with the acquiescence of the United States and other United Nations members, and says humanitarian convoys were used to smuggle the arms into Bosnia.
"An important allegation against Dr Karadzic is that he impeded the delivery of humanitarian assistance in Bosnia," says the motion. "Mr Tudjman's evidence is likely to demonstrate that there was a good reason for the Bosnian Serbs' concern over the contents of those convoys."
Karadzic also claimed the arms were smuggled into the UN-protected safe zones of Srebrenica and Zepa, and that he had been justified "to take action" to stop attacks on surrounding Serb villages.
After Franjo Tudjman's death in 1999, ICTY prosecutors said he had been under investigation for involvement in a joint criminal enterprise to drive Croatian Serbs out of their "ancestral homelands" in the Serb-held Krajina region.
Karadzic denies 11 charges of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity, including for the 44-month siege of Sarajevo that left 10,000 people dead, and the July 1995 massacre of around 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica.
© 2010 AFP