Judge orders full medical for Mladic
Bosnian Serb ex-army chief Ratko Mladic is to undergo a full medical examination, a UN war crimes court judge ordered Wednesday, following Mladic's failure to appear at a hearing last week.
"The chamber orders the registry to have a complete medical examination of the accused conducted," presiding Judge Alphons Orie said in a document published by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
He ordered a detailed report to be submitted to the court by December 6.
The former general last week failed to appear for a hearing before the Hague-based court, where he faces 11 counts of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes for his role in the 1992-95 war in Bosnia.
Mladic, 69, who was supposed to plead to an additional charge relating to the murder of 30 Muslims in Bisina in eastern Bosnia in 1995, told judges he was "too ill to appear".
He has complained of being ill since his first appearance before The Hague-based tribunal in June.
The man dubbed the "Butcher of Bosnia" was arrested in Serbia on May 26 after 16 years on the run.
Mladic, who is accused in particular of masterminding the murder of more than 7,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica in July 1995, has repeatedly asked to be examined by Serbian doctors, with ICTY chief prosecutor Serge Brammertz saying last month that his health was "an area of concern."
His Belgrade-based lawyer Milos Salic said he was hospitalised in October with pneumonia.
© 2011 AFP