Judge Alphons Orie taken off Karadzic case
The president of The Hague Tribunal says the reassignment of a new judge to Radovan Karadzic’s trial is to better distribute the workload among the judges.22 August 2008
THE HAGUE -- Dutch UN judge Alphons Orie will no longer preside over the trial of Radovan Karadzic at the Yugoslavia Tribunal in The Hague.
The Hague Tribunal President Fausto Pocar has moved the hearings of the former Bosnian Serb leader to a different courtroom. He says he made the decision so there can be a better division of the workload.
On Tuesday Karadzic's legal advisor filed a motion to the court claiming that Orie was not be suitable to preside over the case and requested a new judge.
The advisor argued that Orie would not be neutral, as he had already sentenced one of his close assistants in the Balkan War, Momcilo Krajisnik.
Pocar says the decision to have another judge hear the case has nothing to do with the allegations. The next session of the Karadzic case is due to take place 29 Aug. It is not clear who the new judge will be.
[Radio Netherlands / Expatica]