I.Coast's Gbagbo 'in shock' over transfer to ICC: lawyer
Ivorian ex-president Laurent Gbagbo is "in shock" over his sudden transfer to the International Criminal Court to face murder and rape charges, his lawyer Emmanuel Altit told AFP on Friday.
"He is still in shock over the surprise and suddenness of this removal, but at the same time he is lucid and ready to fight," said Altit, who met with his client on Thursday at the ICC's detention centre in a suburb of The Hague.
The two were to meet again on Friday.
"It was something very painful, hard to endure, brutal," said Altit, adding that Gbagbo, 66, "never knew what to expect because the defence was taken by surprise."
Gbagbo on Wednesday became the first former head of state to be handed over to the ICC, where he will face charges of murder, rape, persecution and other inhuman acts.
The crimes were allegedly committed between December 16, 2010, and April 12, 2011 -- a period of electoral violence as Gbagbo refused to accept Ivory Coast poll results which showed his rival Alassane Ouattara had won.
Some 3,000 people were killed in the clashes.
Gbagbo will make his first appearance before ICC judges on Monday.
Since his arrest in Abidjan on April 11, Gbagbo had been held in Korhogo, in the north of the west African country.
© 2011 AFP