ICC prosecutor seeks warrant for Sudan's defence minister

2nd December 2011, Comments 0 comments

The International Criminal Court's prosecutor sought an arrest warrant Friday for Sudan's defence minister for military attacks in Darfur, saying the onslaught on unarmed civilians continued.

Luis Moreno-Ocampo asked ICC judges for a warrant for Abdelrahim Mohamed Hussein, the sixth person sought by the ICC or before the court for crimes committed in the arid war-torn African region.

The warrant, if approved, would cover crimes against humanity and war crimes committed from August 2003 to March 2004.

"Abdelrahim Mohammed Hussein was involved in the crimes and that's why we requested the chamber to add him as being responsible," Moreno-Ocampo told AFP by phone.

Khartoum's interior minister at the time, Hussein is wanted by the prosecutor for allegedly coordinating attacks against civilians in villages in west Darfur.

"The evidence allowed the office of the prosecutor to conclude that Mr. Hussein is one of those who bears the greatest criminal responsibility" for crimes committed in Darfur, Moreno-Ocampo's office added in a statement.

The request follows warrants issued in February 2007 for Hussein's deputy and Darfur security chief Ahmad Harun and Janjaweed militia leader Ali Kushayb, both wanted on 22 counts of crimes against humanity and war crimes for directing attacks against Darfur's civilians.

Villages were surrounded, bombed by the Sudanese air force, and then attacked by a combined force of Sudanese troops and Janjaweed militia.

"The evidence shows that this was a state policy supervised by Mr Hussein to ensure the coordination of attacks against civilians," said Friday's statement.

Moreno-Ocampo added: "The crimes are still continuing in Darfur today."

He wanted Hussein arrested to "prevent him from continuing with the commission of crimes within the jurisdiction of the court," added the statement.

If granted, the warrant would bring to four the number of suspects on the run for crimes committed in Darfur.

Two others, rebel commanders for whom no warrants have been issued, appeared voluntarily before the court on war crimes charges in The Hague in June last year.

The court's highest profile suspect is Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, wanted on three counts of genocide, five of crimes against humanity and two of war crimes for his role in the conflict.

The Coalition for the International Criminal Court NGO on Friday said it hoped a potential new arrest warrant in the Darfur situation "will increase the pressure on those responsible for grave crimes to be held to account."

But it pointed out that nobody had so far been arrested and that Khartoum "openly defied" and continued to refuse to cooperate with the ICC.

The United Nations says up to 300,000 people have died since conflict broke out in Sudan's western Darfur region in 2003, when ethnic minority rebels took up arms against the Arab-dominated regime for a greater share of resources and power.

Moreno-Ocampo accuses Bashir of having personally instructed his forces to annihilate three ethnic groups -- the Fur, the Masalit and the Zaghawa.

The prosecutor says some four million people were uprooted from their homes, of whom 2.5 million were still languishing in camps for displaced people.

"The court has time, but the people in Darfur, they have no time," he said.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article