Hofstadgroep suspects to remain in jail
29 July 2005, ROTTERDAM – The eleven young men in jail on suspicion of membership in the Hofstadgroep terror network will remain in detention until the next pro forma hearing in late September, a Rotterdam court ruled on Friday.
29 July 2005
ROTTERDAM – The eleven young men in jail on suspicion of membership in the Hofstadgroep terror network will remain in detention until the next pro forma hearing in late September, a Rotterdam court ruled on Friday.
The court also ruled their attorneys could question witnesses including the head of the state security service AIVD and MPs Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Geert Wilders.
The court found there were sufficient objections to releasing the eleven men.
There are indications they might form a criminal organisation with terrorist intentions.
They appear to have had contact with each other, and several appear to have attended meetings in homes including that of Mohammed B, convicted this week of murdering Theo van Gogh.
B had already been named as a suspect in this case.
Several attorneys asked at the third pro forma hearing on Wednesday for the detention to be lifted or suspended. The men have been in jail for about nine months. The prosecutor, the attorneys say, has presented little incriminating material.
The court said there were indications that some of the suspects condone violence in the name of religion, and that writings and recordings glorifying extreme violence had been found.
It also said there were indications that one or more suspects had been involved in recruiting people for jihad, and that Ismail A, Jason W and Mohammed B have committed acts of extreme violence.
A and W were arrested in November in the Laakkwartier area of The Hague. Several officers were injured when the suspects threw a hand grenade.
[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2005]
Subject: Dutch news