Geert Wilders acquitted of hatemongering charges

23rd June 2011, Comments 14 comments

A court in Amsterdam has acquitted MP Geert Wilders of charges of inciting hatred and insulting Muslims as a group. The charges had been brought by individuals who felt they had been discriminated against by the anti-Islam nationalist MP.

Both the defence and the public prosecutor had demanded an acquittal.

In a first reaction, Mr Wilders said, "It is not so much a personal victory, but rather it's a victory for the freedom of expression. Criticising Islam turns out to be allowed, I've not been muzzled."

The Amsterdam court rejected the charge that Mr Wilders had insulted a group, because his statements in the media and in his movie Fitna were about Islam as a religion, not about Muslims as inviduals. The charges relating to inciting hatred and to discrimination were also thrown out.

Mr Wilders' statements about "a tsunami of Muslims" were described by the court as "rude and denigrating". Other statements were "on the edge of what is allowed" and "inciting". Yet, the court took into consideration that Mr Wilders spoke out in the context of public debate.

The overall acquittal is assumed to spell the end of the case, since an appeal is not likely.

© Radio Netherlands Worldwide

• Dennis posted:

on 29th June 2011, 16:27:32 - Reply

...yes, I am a bigot. Proud of it. I love people who share my culture and values and to varying degrees dislike all the way to detest those who have greatly different values and culture....but I willl defend to the death the right for them to hold their values and culture as long as they do not attempt to force it on me. If I felt oppressed by being a minority in a culture that I could not buy into, I would be looking to move on to a place that had a better fit for me

Oh yes, I am particularly bigoted against women. Of all the women in the world, there is only one who meets my favour and gains my affection. You'd know her as my wife...

Yeah, I am a bigot...proud of it.
  • yeahyeahyeah posted:

on 29th June 2011, 15:36:16 - Reply

It is what it is, BIGOTRY and It's supporters of it. Freedom of speech got a thumbs up in it's most favorite and used European topic.
  • Dennis posted:

on 29th June 2011, 14:44:27 - Reply

Personally I am delighted and impressed that the Dutch legal system took the totally correct decision in acquitting Wilders. Whether or not you agree with the man is irrelevant, he has an opinion, he is not slandering an individual he is offering his point of view as to what his happening in our country.

To those who suggest that he is a racist show a patent lack of knowledge of the man....he is more a culturalist where he recognizes that cultures that are radically different in their outlook cannot successfully integrate and we are better off not even trying.

The folks who advocate "hate laws" and similar are more in line with the mind set found in Germany in the 30's than anything else.

If you do not like what I say, don't listen. If you do not agree with me, state your case. If you do not want to associate with me....please just go away.

I actually do not care.....
  • Dee posted:

on 29th June 2011, 14:04:50 - Reply

Wow, some of the comments on this story are really fucking incredible. There's a fine line between insulting a religion and insulting the people that follow it, being called out because you walk that line and occasionally cross it isn't contesting free speech, it's what it is.

Hopefully Wilders will decide to keep an even lower profile now and I won't have to hear about him for a long, long time.
  • meet the new boss same as the old boss posted:

on 29th June 2011, 12:14:25 - Reply

It's known already, trying to get the racists on this with their obnoxious comments is more why they keep printing this story. Europeans and whites are full of fear when it comes to non whites. Will be and always will be. Heil!!
  • tazzt posted:

on 24th June 2011, 01:37:18 - Reply

As one who is married to a Dutch woman for 42 years and who has visited Holland almost annually during that time, it is sad to see what has happened to Holland. Previously, she could walk down the streets at night or to the and from the tram station without fear, no longer. This is being done by the Dutch to the Dutch. Why? Do you need cheap labor so badly that you would allow them to corrupt your culture and institutions as they have in the UK, Germany, and even Italy? Don't know when you will wake up but Wilders is trying to do his bet to alert you to the demographic wave about to engulf all of Europe. And who will be the survivor then? Democracy? Not bloody likely based on past historic evidence. Don't let the Liberals sitting in their warm safe ivory towers worrying about the poor downtrodden (without lifting an actual finger or spending a dime of their money) fool you. They'll be the first to scream when it's their turn to wrap their women in burkas. WAKE UP.
  • Huis posted:

on 23rd June 2011, 21:32:23 - Reply

It was a Stalinist show trial. There will be more coming all across Europe. People (infidels) will be accused of inciting hatred simply because they cite a verse from the Quran that actually tells the truth about Islam. One Austrian women was put on trial for that very reason. She simply cited the Quran, not her personal opinion and a left-wing tool brought charges against her.
  • Carax posted:

on 23rd June 2011, 21:01:09 - Reply

The useful idiots who brought charges against Wilders now intend to continue the suppression of free speech in Europe by taking the case to the EU courts. To them I say, good luck, they will need it. A few commentators here are more than amazingly ignorant. Any open discussion of Islamic doctrine to them apparently is racist. These type of people would probably be happiest in a fascist totalitarian state where politically incorrect opinions are met with a firing squad. I suggest these people educate themselves about the actual situation in The Netherlands before mouthing off.
  • Nazi sympathizer Ken James posted:

on 23rd June 2011, 17:53:19 - Reply

Ken will be back in his cage soon as we have his lithium ready
  • Ken james posted:

on 23rd June 2011, 16:34:35 - Reply

Hurrah for Wilders! Keep up your fight and stop the immigration of anymore muslims...We have that problem over is out of control and muslims are even elelcted to Congress...what's next?
  • Former Dutch Wannabe posted:

on 23rd June 2011, 15:20:43 - Reply

WIlders is a tool, and a dangerous one at that... here in the states we allow people to say what they want. Why? It makes it easier to KNOW WHO YOUR ENEMY'S ARE. The bigger tools are the Dutch citizens who elected this disgrace in the first place. Pass all the laws you want, but it's the people who make the final decision no matter what.

After visiting your lovely country a couple of times a year for the past 15 years or so, I nearly accepted a job transfer to Amsterdam... not now my friends, not now!
  • Typcial Europe posted:

on 23rd June 2011, 14:18:30 - Reply

• Typical Europe posted:

on 23rd June 2011, 14:14:54 - Reply

60 something years since evil brewed out of Europe sounds like eons ago but it still harbors, many offspring of the nazis and their sympathizers still exist, and this is a pathetic group of "Lawmakers" as this piece of garbage of a non human (Wilders), should be expelled immediately from any degree in the Dutch or any other Germanic Governemnt. First off the Dutch government like the other dutch need to get healthy and stop poisoning their bodies with cigarettes and alcohol . Then they need to come to grips with the fact that racists are forbidden in European government.
  • Joey Joey Kardashian posted:

on 23rd June 2011, 11:20:01 - Reply

Well what a suprise. Still, someone has to keep those Muppet-judges busy! Now its all over its about time that you name the 'individuals' who brought this case and are so desperately opposed to free speech.