Freedom Party MP should have been prosecuted
In a 2007 official letter to the Den Bosch court, the Maastricht public prosecutor writes that there was sufficient hard evidence to prosecute Freedom Party MP Dion Graus for threatening and beating his wife, and that the decision to drop the charges was wrong.
The letter was made public on Sunday evening in the current affairs television programme In October 2002, Dion Graus allegedly assaulted his heavily-pregnant wife. He allegedly tried to choke her and ‘pushed’ her in the belly. The police report states she was covered in bruises and had to be admitted to hospital.
According to the public prosecutor's letter, it could be proved that Dion Graus became verbally aggressive toward his wife during a dinner party at his father’s house, and choked her for a full minute. When he finally let go, he threatened to “put a gun between her eyes.”
The official letter is all the more remarkable because in 2003 the Public Prosecutor’s Office issued a statement saying that the charges of threatening and abusing his wife had been dropped “because the charges could not be legally proved.”
In a reaction, Mr Graus said it was strange the letter should surface after eight years, and argued its publication was no coincidence but a deliberate attempt to discredit him. He said the accusations were made in 2003 after he requested visiting rights regarding his daughter.
© Radio Netherlands Worldwide