Extreme right demonstration called off

22nd November 2007, Comments 0 comments

22 November 2007, AMSTERDAM – The demonstration planned by extreme right National People's Movement (NVB) in Amsterdam-West on Saturday will not go ahead.

22 November 2007

AMSTERDAM – The demonstration planned by extreme right National People's Movement (NVB) in Amsterdam-West on Saturday will not go ahead.

Amsterdam mayor Job Cohen would only allow the demonstrators to protest on the Orlyplein, nearby the Sloterdijk train station. The right wing group would not agree to this, according to a statement on Wednesday.

The NVB wanted to stage a demonstration in the centre of city district Slotervaart to protest the recent unrest in the area. After a police officer shot a 22-year-old Moroccan man in self defence last month, youth in the area set cars on fire several nights in a row.

Cohen said that the demonstration could not be held in the district itself, but on the edge of Slotervaart, because of the risk of fights with opponents. "We are not going to gather our following at a little square tucked away somewhere to announce our message and our dissatisfaction to the empty air," the NVB responded in its statement. The group says it will now take legal steps.

An NVB demonstration on the Surinameplein in Amsterdam-West at the end of September ended in fighting. Although many police were on hand, extreme left opponents and Ajax hooligans managed to attack the demonstrators. Three extreme right protesters were injured.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2007]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article