Ex-Ivorian president Gbagbo in ICC custody: source

30th November 2011, Comments 0 comments

Ex-Ivorian president Laurent Gbagbo has arrived at the International Criminal Court's detention unit in The Hague, to face charges over post-election violence that killed 3,000 people, a source told AFP.

"He is there," said the source close to the investigation, who asked to remain anonymous. The ICC has not commented on Gbagbo's case since his transfer to the world court was announced on Tuesday by one of his lawyers.

A plane carrying the former president landed at Rotterdam airport a little before 4:00 am (0300 GMT), the ANP news agency reported.

From there, Gbagbo was taken to the ICC detention facilities in The Hague, 20 kilometres (12 miles) away.

Gbagbo, 66, was only informed of his transfer on Tuesday when he was served an international arrest warrant from the ICC, Jean Gbougnon, one of his lawyers in Ivory Coast, told AFP.

He is the first former head of state to be surrendered to the ICC.

Gbagbo was served an arrest warrant, sealed by judges in The Hague, nearly eight months after refusing to cede power after elections, plunging the country into a crisis that the UN said cost some 3,000 lives.

The ICC has carried out its own investigation parallel to Ivorian justice, looking into crimes against humanity and war crimes committed from December last year until April by both Gbagbo's as well as supporters of new Ivorian President Alassane Ouattara.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article