Easier for non-EU professionals to set up Dutch business

Easier for non-EU professionals to set up Dutch business

24th September 2013, Comments 6 comments

A non-EU app-developer, creative designer or instrument maker wanting to set up their business in the Netherlands will soon have easier access to the Dutch market.

To ease regulations for non-EU entrepreneurs.

This applies especially to innovative self-employed that can make a special contribution to the Dutch economy with their expertise.

Easier for non-EU professionals to set up business in the Netherlands

Criteria

Apart from applying to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service, the knowledge workers have to file an additional request to be allowed to work in the Netherlands. A points system is used to determine whether they make a significant economic contribution. The assessment will be based on criteria including education, business experience, financing and innovation.

Creative, medical and ICT sector
s

The new self-employment regulation is more in line with the needs of the creative, medical and ICT sectors, which attract a growing number of self-employed. Businesses are looking for independent knowledge workers with creative, innovative ideas and new solutions. This way, attracting more foreign knowledge workers will also contribute to an increase in employment in these sectors.

Contribution to innovation

The minimum amount knowledge migrants will have to invest in their business will be lowered from €25000 to €5000. They can also increase their score if they can show how they are going to contribute to innovation.

Holland.com / Expatica

• carrico posted:

on 25th September 2013, 14:50:08 - Reply

lol-ing in Montavilla: Brilliant, passionate posts. Again, the Dutch are way ahead of the curve. Why learn Nederlandse? It's silly, Silly.
  • pepe posted:

on 25th September 2013, 13:33:16 - Reply

@Angela, in case you missed it, the British government is bashing both Romanians and Bulgarians for over a year by now.
  • Richard posted:

on 24th September 2013, 16:39:28 - Reply

In a way, this recession is the best thing that could happen to the Dutch. It's amazing that 7years recession is still not enough to bring their self awareneness to a normalized level. They need... to know their place on world stage. Once it is clear...business will pick up, as I expect they will welcome foreign business more sincerely [Edited by moderator]
  • elvis posted:

on 24th September 2013, 11:44:33 - Reply

Why bother with this when you can apply for NIW (National Interest Waiver) in the US? Plus, anyone with a Ph.D. from an accredited US university will probably get his permanent residency in the US soon, thanks to Obama's immigration initiative.

• elvis posted:

on 24th September 2013, 11:35:22 - Reply

@angela: XQZ me, but the tax is going to be 59% NOT 56%. But overall you nailed it perfectly.

When I came to the NL, I had several ideas, I even filed a patent which I had worked on before coming here. The rude lawyer of my Dutch employer looked at me and asked, "I must ensure you have not stolen this idea from a Dutch employee or business"!!!! With my usual cool (needless to say I lost it after a while), I smiled and asked why did he want to ensure of this? I came from outside NL. "You have been hired only for few months and one cannot come up with a patent so soon", he replied. I withdrew my application. Sounded like KMs are guilty unless proven otherwise.

Ever since I have not shared a penny of my ideas with my company. I prefer take them to grave than share with a Dutch business or company or person.

The dutch system is innovation killer, period (ironic how many of them call themselves "innovative" on their linkedin profiles).
  • Angela posted:

on 24th September 2013, 10:09:10 - Reply

I doubt any 'high skilled' migrant will set up in NL, even if the required investment were to be 'zero euro', and even if they would be handed a Permanent Residency right after landing at the airport! 1) they know very well how high taxes are in Netherlands (56% is what NL tax, isnt it? isnt that higher than China?) 2) 'creative / digital ' industry doesn't need to be routed via Netherlands, if you set up a shop digitally, you do not need to be physically in NL to sell to the Dutch, after all it is open borders market EU?. Any such entrepreneur would be MUCH better off setting up a company in Ireland or the UK. (taxes are roughly 15% for Ireland instead of 56% in NL, and, you aren't obligated to pay a notary for incorporation of a company in Ireland/UK, whereas you are in NL). In NL they make you visit a notary even for changing a company name. It is hilarious that their notaries don't seem to make money on other more meaningful business. 3) the market in NL is unforbidding and in a sense even bakward: locals don't like 'foreigners' (look at the openly bashing by the government PM (!!!!) Asscher himself of Romanians who intended to come to NL in a perfectly legal manner). The Dutch language is fairly useless outside NL, so why bother investing in it, if they don't like foreigners coming in anyway, let alone if they came in LEGALLY, right? 4) NL seems to dangle a carrot called '30% tax ruling' in front of the expats, but seriously, what High SKilled migrant is going to fall for that? :) Only one who couldn't figure out that he would get that tax break anyway, if he set up shop in UK or Ireland- after all, if the tax is as low as it is in Ireland/UK, you STILL end up paying a lower tax burden than your would in NL even with the so called 'magic 30% ruling' 5) the ONLY economy still doing so bad, is the DUTCH one. That's because they are run by a government who actually think there will be interest for their 'immediate PR' scheme where wealthy people bring in 1.25m EUR. However, who in his right mind will EVER bring 1.25m EUR after a decade of hard work, just to dump it on a dutch bank account and then be taxed annually on that bank balance AND have to give up 30% at death in the form of Inheritance tax? That foreigner is better off staying in Russia, or China, where they don't punish wealth, but rather: Appreciate it. 6) Don't get me started on Dutch employee mentality. Once you hire a few, you will be faced with bluntness (they are well known on global scale for their 'direct' communication) their 'unionized' behavior, where they tend to think they have so many 'rights' that you will start wonder WHY you ever picked NL as a place to startup to begin with. [Edited by moderator]