Dutch soldier killed in suicide attack

15th June 2007, Comments 0 comments

15 June 2007, THE HAGUE – A 20-year-old Dutch soldier was killed in a suicide attack in the Afghan province of Uruzgan on Friday morning. Three other soldiers were injured. A car bomb went off in the centre of Tarin Kowt, not far from the Dutch military base. Five Afghan children were also killed and 13 Afghans were wounded.

15 June 2007

THE HAGUE – A 20-year-old Dutch soldier was killed in a suicide attack in the Afghan province of Uruzgan on Friday morning. Three other soldiers were injured. A car bomb went off in the centre of Tarin Kowt, not far from the Dutch military base. Five Afghan children were also killed and 13 Afghans were wounded.

Commander of the armed forces General Dick Berlijn announced this on Friday. He called it a "cowardly attack." The defence department has not yet managed to reach all the families of the soldiers involved. The family of the soldier killed has been notified however.

The defence department laments the fact that it was unable to reach the family before the news was reported.

Defence Minister Eimert van Middelkoop is "deeply affected" by the incident, he said. He immediately notified the cabinet when he was informed about the attack earlier in the day. "The cabinet was shocked," he said. He expressed his sincere condolences to the family.

This "cowardly attack" shows what kind of enemy the ISAF is dealing with in Afghanistan. "They are out to claim a lot of victims." Still the minister said that the incident does not affect the Netherlands' determination to help the Afghan people. "The Afghan population can continue to count on our support," the minister said.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2007]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article