Dutch probe Norwegian gunman email list for possible links
Dutch prosecutors are probing a list of email addresses to see if anybody in the Netherlands got a copy of a manifesto by Norwegian self-confessed killer Anders Behring Breivik, a judicial official said Wednesday.
"We don't know whether he has had any contact, but we are definitely looking into it," Rotterdam public prosecutions office spokesman Wim de Bruin told AFP.
"I cannot say how long it will take and at the moment I cannot confirm that there are any Dutch email addresses on the list," he added.
The 32-year-old Behring Breivik wrote and published a 1,500-page manifesto before starting his bombing and shooting spree that killed 76 in Oslo and on a nearby island n last week.
Dutch media, quoted by local news agency ANP, said Wednesday there were some 1,002 addresses on the list, one of which showed a visible Dutch link.
The Netherlands' own far-right leader Geert Wilders, recently acquitted on charges of hate speech and discrimination for statements attacking Islam, on Tuesday slammed the attacks as as the work of "a lonely, ill-adjusted idiot who abused the peace-loving ideals of the anti-Islamist movement."
Wilders said he was "repulsed" by the fact that Behring Breivik referred to him and the PVV in his manifesto.
"The PVV has never issued a call to violence and will never do so," Wilders said. "We believe in the power of the ballot and the wisdom of the voter. Not bombs and pistols," he added.
© 2011 AFP