Dutch news in brief, 22 February 2005

22nd February 2005, Comments 0 comments

Widow killer loses last appeal

Widow killer loses last appeal

The Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday that Ernest L. should serve out his 12-year sentence for stabbing widow Jacqueline Wittenberg to death in Deventer in 1999. The court said the earlier ruling of the appeals court in Den Bosch was irrevocable. This was the second time that L. had applied for cassation in the Supreme Court, opening up the possibility of a record in Dutch legal history. Had the court referred the case back to the appeals court, it would have been the fourth time the case had been tried. L. acted as the executor of the millions of guilders bequeathed by the victim's deceased husband. L. had initially been acquitted by the trial court.

Aussie troops replace Dutch in Iraq

The Australian government has opted to deploy 450 troops in the Iraqi province vacated by departing Dutch troops. The Australian troops will be required to protect Japanese engineers working in the al-Muthanna province in southern Iraq. Prime Minister John Howard said the Cabinet had approved the plan for more troops after personal requests from Japanese leader Junichiro Koizumi and Britain's Tony Blair. The soldiers are expected to arrive in 10-weeks time. The Dutch cabinet decided earlier in January to withdraw the nation's 1,400 troops mid-March. Some 350 replacement troops will dismantle the Dutch camps.

Suspects confess to café killing

Two suspects have confessed to killing a café boss in Leeuwarden in January, police said on Tuesday. The identity of the suspects was not revealed, but police said the motive for the killing was robbery. A third suspect has also been arrested. The 54-year-old manager of café Nijlân was stabbed in the neck on the night of 17 January. A 46-year-old patron was also injured in the attack.

Nine tips over A50 murder

Nine tips were received by police after crime-stoppers show Opsporing Verzocht on Monday night highlighted the discovery of two dead bodies in a car found along the A50 motorway earlier this month. The car, containing the two bodies, was found with its hazard lights on near Hattemerbroek on 8 February. The victims were a man and woman, both agef 30, from The Hague.
[Copyright Expatica News 2005]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article