Dutch news in brief, 2 December 2004

2nd December 2004, Comments 0 comments

Bernhard supported Eric O. , Prince Bernhard, who died on Wednesday, supported Sergeant-Major Eric O. who was charged with shooting a civilian in Iraq. Newspaper De Telegraaf said Bernhard had sought contact with O. who was recently cleared by a court of any wrongdoing in the December 2003 shooting. The soldier fired a shot at a group of looters in Iraq and the bullet is suspected to have killed a man, but O. defended his actions, asserting that he thought his unit was in danger. The decision by the public

Bernhard supported Eric O.

Prince Bernhard, who died on Wednesday, supported Sergeant-Major Eric O. who was charged with shooting a civilian in Iraq. Newspaper De Telegraaf said Bernhard had sought contact with O. who was recently cleared by a court of any wrongdoing in the December 2003 shooting. The soldier fired a shot at a group of looters in Iraq and the bullet is suspected to have killed a man, but O. defended his actions, asserting that he thought his unit was in danger. The decision by the public prosecutor (OM) to charge O. caused consternation among the Dutch military. Bernhard was made commander of the Dutch forces in 1944 and has been an ardent supporter of soldiers and veterans since then.

Three more held in Air Holland case

Three more people have been arrested as part of the police investigation into Dutch airline Air Holland, the public prosecutor's office has confirmed. Earlier this week, it was announced seven others, including former chief executive Cees van D., 52, and the company's former financial director, Paul G., 42, had been detained.  They are facing drugs charges amid allegations the airline was used to set up a drugs route between the Netherlands, the Netherlands Antilles and Suriname.

'Killer' wore glasses, say witnesses

Two people who witnessed the murder of filmmaker Theo van Gogh in Amsterdam have told the police the killer was wearing glasses, newspaper Algemeen Dagblad reported Thursday. On Monday, crime stoppers programme Opsporing Verzocht made history when it broadcast the photograph of the suspect, Mohammed B., 26, without disguising his features. He wasn't wearing spectacles in the police photograph.

Motorist jailed for car attack

A man, 28, has been jailed for five years by a court in Zwolle for deliberately driving his car at high speed into a group of people. The incident on the night of 12 August led to 14 people being injured. The public prosecutor accused the defendant of trying to use his vehicle as a murder weapon. 

[Copyright Expatica News 2004]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article