Dutch news in brief – 14 July 2004

14th July 2004, Comments 0 comments

Verdonk demands answers on asylum evictions

Verdonk demands answers on asylum evictions

Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk has demanded that the mayors of the four major Dutch cities explain in a meeting on Thursday their asylum seeker eviction policies. It comes after the mayors of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht said last week that they would no longer evict rejected asylum seekers awaiting deportation unless arrangements have been made for temporary housing. Verdonk plans to deport 26,000 asylum seekers over the next three years, but the four major cities fear that evicted asylum seekers will head to the underground and remain illegally in the Netherlands, rather than leave the country. Only temporary housing is being provided to asylum seekers who have been living in the Netherlands longer than three years, Radio Netherlands reported. The four cities want the arrangement to be extended to all rejected asylum seekers.

Clinton makes flying Amsterdam visit

Former US President Bill Clinton was making a lightning visit to the Netherlands on Wednesday. He flew in to Amsterdam from London and was due to return to the Schiphol Airport at 7.30pm for a flight to Paris for a dinner in the French capital. In just seven hours, Clinton was conducting seven exclusive interviews and was attending a reception at the Amstel hotel organised by the Giving Back Foundation. Clinton was to read anecdotes of his new book "My Life" and tickets for the event cost between EUR 450 and 950. The proceeds were going to the foundation, which works to help immigrant students.

Cafe boss vows to change following fraud claims

Café tycoon Sjoerd Kooistra, who has been accused of fraud by Amsterdam City Council, has informed the capital's municipal authority that he is prepared to change his method of operations, newspaper Het Parool reported. Kooistra has offered to become a shareholder of two companies, which operate eight well-known cafes in Amsterdam. Kooistra has been accused of buying up businesses, defrauding funds and bankrupting the cafés and the council has announced it will refuse future permit applications. The results of council inquiries have also been handed over to justice officials. But Kooistra said he will become a shareholder of the companies involved, thus meaning that he will also be financially affected if a café goes bust. He previously leased premises out and was never affected by their bankruptcy.

Search resumes for missing mountain climbers

Rescuers resumed their search on Wednesday for a Dutchman who went missing on Mont Blanc in France on Saturday. From 6am, 12 rescuers started searching for the 29-year-old Utrecht man and his 57-year-old French guide, newspaper De Telegraaf reported. The search had been suspended on Monday and it is feared the two men have been buried under an avalanche.

[Copyright Expatica News 2004]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article