Dutch minister sorry for Srebrenica censorship

24th June 2010, Comments 0 comments


Outgoing Dutch Defence Minister Eimert van Middelkoop has apologised to the Lower House for a case of censorship in the army.

Speaking to parliament on Thursday he said that an edition of an officers' magazine about the fall of Srebrenica should not have been banned.

In its July issue the magazine for non-commissioned officers wanted to commemorate the July 1995 fall of the Bosnian city, with a special issue looking back on the dramatic events of the time. Serbian forces invaded the Muslim enclave of Srebrenica, which was under the protection of Dutch UN forces. Up to 8,000 Muslim men and boys were killed after the city fell to the Serbians.

Minister Van Middelkoop said that banning the magazine had been wrong, and that the editors were free to go ahead and publish the stories they had been planning. The Communication Department of the Dutch Defence Ministry had stopped publication of the magazine, saying it would be harmful to the armed forces.


© Radio Netherlands Worldwide

0 Comments To This Article