Dutch man sentenced for false bomb alert to Madrid station
A Dutch court Monday sentenced a 42-year-old man to four months in jail for making a false bomb threat against a train station in Madrid, scene of deadly attacks in 2004.
"The court sentences the suspect to a prison term of 120 days," said the eastern Zwolle regional court in its verdict, which was published online.
It then suspended 58 days of the sentence, provided the man did not commit a similar offence in the next two years and sought treatment at a clinic.
The accused was addicted to alcohol and had "mental problems" when he contacted Spanish and Dutch authorities on October 12 last year to warn that a bomb would explode in a Madrid train station, leading to its evacuation, the court said.
Six years before, on March 11, 2004, 10 bombs exploded in the Spanish capital and its suburbs, causing 191 deaths and 1,841 injuries. Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Court documents did not name the evacuated station, but Dutch news agency ANP reported it to be one of those hit by the 2004 bomb attacks.
"The reason for the quick reaction by authorities was a result of the previous bombings in Madrid," the court said, before handing down the same sentence as asked for by the prosecution.
"Feelings of insecurity remain" among those hit by attacks in New York, Madrid and London, the court said.
"Through his actions, the accused sparked feelings of terror and insecurity," it added.
© 2011 AFP