Dutch immigration exam discriminatory, says Human Rights Watch

15th May 2008, Comments 11 comments

The examination, which exempts Western migrants, is meant to keep certain group of people out.

15 May 2008

THE NETHERLANDS - Human Rights Watch says that the examination many migrants have to take in their own countries before being allowed to come to The Netherlands is discriminatory.

Non-Western migrants such as Turks and Moroccans have to sit the exam, while immigrants from the European Union, Japan and the United States are exempt. Human Rights Watch says it appears The Netherlands wants to keep certain groups out.

Since 2006, non-western migrants have to sit an exam to prove they have adequate knowledge of Dutch language and culture.

The exam, which was introduced by former Integration Minister Rita Verdonk, costs EUR 350. The number of applications from Turkey and Morocco has dropped substantially since its introduction.

[Radio Netherlands / Expatica]

• hkees posted:

on 2nd September 2014, 09:42:30 - Reply

Incorrect information. Non-Western migrants such as Turks and Moroccans DO NOT have to sit the exam. That's the weird thing.
    Immigrants from say China, Ghana, Taiwan, Ethiopia, etc. need to learn Dutch and prove that they can integrate in Dutch society. I agree that this is indeed discriminatory in the case of multicultural marriages, whereby one partner wants to join her Dutch partner in the Netherlands.
    Dutch politicians should RECONSIDER this policy.
  • celcel posted:

on 9th March 2010, 00:50:52 - Reply

I am from Costa Rica a country with out army, all about peace and nature, and I have to take that test, well i dont like it but I think Holand goverment is right in a way, if you pretend to live in a country you should know basic things about languaje and history, what it is very wrong about it is that they apply this rules to certain country, like if some are better that others.
  • Steve Munha posted:

on 24th May 2008, 13:12:46 - Reply

Maybe the Dutch government can tell us why their immigration test discriminates some countries. But if it is because of the regional response to newspaper cartoons and Dutch MP's extract film, then what about the NAZI cult we hear cropping up in EU? Surely the test should be worldwide.
  • Maria Montero posted:

on 22nd May 2008, 16:21:41 - Reply

I agree with Gox, what kind of civilized European labels an entire country based on religion? Yes Muslims are different, but they don’t deserve to be all generalized as extremist. Besides, in my experience, the great majority of young Dutchies don't even believe in God nor support any religion, so what’s the difference?. Furthermore, you forget that this exam not only affects Muslims but also the rest of "Non-Western" countries. I live and work in Holland as an expat myself (I am originally from South America) and I believe that "non western" foreigners are doing a great job for you country. Isn't The Hague supposed to be "the city of peace and justice?" Where is justice if I have to sit for an integration test and some "god nows if the guy can spell right" American doesn't??? Don't get me wrong, I totally support the idea of the integration test, since it helps you starting learning the Dutch language, but the test should be obligatory for all non-Dutch speaking countries and not only for the "wrong country people"
  • gox posted:

on 22nd May 2008, 12:41:42 - Reply

you should be ashamed of your posts. is that being european, civilised? It seems that your only assets are your religios backgrounds and your nationalities. I am a non-muslim expat in this country but I don't think you should put every single immigrant from the countries you named in one single pot. There are rotten apples everywhere whether it is jewish, christian or muslim. Such hatred as it was reflected in your posts leads to more clash of civilization and chaos and the alineation of the so-called non-western immgrants who are trying to integrate. I am also in favor of this exam, yes the conditions imposed on those from some countries should differ and yes unfortunately there are more rotten apples in some countries but one does not need to be muslim or non-western immigrant to be classified as a dangerous extremist. People like you pose the same level of threat to the future of the peace in this continent as Hitler once or the murderer of Theo van Gogh did.
  • zap12 posted:

on 16th May 2008, 23:36:22 - Reply

I hope they test these Muslims for a sense of humour!

• Geoff Morris posted:

on 16th May 2008, 12:45:28 - Reply

Could I just point out that I'm sure all the other commentators would just love to try and enter the Netherlands if, say, the government decided to test people because they happen to come from a country where the death penalty is legal or lots of people are against abortion.

Come on! Yet again, you bigots are tarring a huge block of people from all sorts of backgrounds and shades of ideology with one brush labelled "extremist".

From reading those comments I certainly see a number of extremists... those supporting the exam!
  • Daniel Lang posted:

on 16th May 2008, 12:14:10 - Reply

Why doesn't Human Rights Watch go to Muslim and protest how non-Muslims are treated. Congratulations to The Netherlands for trying to put a clamp on "non-desirables." THe rest of the civilized world should take lessons from The Netherlands.
  • PatrickHenry posted:

on 16th May 2008, 07:23:37 - Reply

So human rights watch thinks it's discrimination to give a pre-immigration screening exam to muslims? WHO CARES? Who killed Theo Van Gogh? I don't think it was a Japanese, no need to examine them. It wasn't an American, or anyone from the EU. No need to examine them.

But who are the ones that issue death threats the moment someone draws a little cartoon of the "grand exalted author" of their cult of death? Right, muslems! Who riots and kills each other when a Dutchman makes a truthful short film about muslim jihad? Right, muslems. It seems to me to be a good idea to do some SERIOUS SCREENING before you allow another muslim into your once great fabulous country! Tell human rights watch where they can go!
  • zap12 posted:

on 15th May 2008, 19:18:03 - Reply

I agree keep the trash out!! Make the PvDA take the test too!
  • john doe posted:

on 15th May 2008, 14:42:05 - Reply

Another absurd report. Non-Western migrants? You mean Muslims. And yes, they should be discriminated against for many reasons. They represent an anti-democratic totalitarian supremacist and expansionist ideology that does not embrace the concept of human rights,depriving non-Muslims, women, homosexuals and so on of an equitable status. Furthermore, their so-called religion preaches hate against Christians and mainly Jews. So, good, keep them out of our society where freedom of speech and freedom of conscience reigns. Human Rights Watch is made up of multiculturalists and Marxists. They do not in any way care for their own culture...indeed they despise its Judeo-Christian heritage and the values of the Enlightenment.